[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: William Orbit< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Vulu Search for posts by this member.
Carpet Panther - PROWL TEH DUST!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2001,16:47  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was listening to William Orbit's Pieces in a Modern Style recently, which, if you aren't aware, is a compilation of short classical pieces redone with synthesizers and a barely imperceptible trance-ish beat.

Anyway, one of my favourite tracks is Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, which incidentally is one of the main themes for Homeworld, one of the truly fantastic PC games.

On a whim, I downloaded from Napster a NYC Philharmonic Orchestra version of the actual piece, and I was absolutely blown away by what I heard. The tepid melody in Orbit's remake pales a whiter shade of pale in the presence of the orchestral version. There's a particular sequence of ascending, climaxing emotion - for mere music it was not, but pure emotion - and I swear I've never been so astounded by what I heard.

Imagine, if you will, a visual metaphor for Romeo and Juliet, where their respective families are pulling them away from each other. And yet they strain, and strain, and they nearly touch... ever so close, but they are ripped apart. Imagine the emotion you'd feel if you were Romeo or Juliet in that scenario. That's what the music emotes. I sat at my computer for ten minutes, stunned by what I'd heard.

This message has been edited by Vulu on May 09, 2001 at 11:47 AM

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
SLATE Search for posts by this member.
Kiloposter

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2001,20:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Vulu:
Anyway, one of my favourite tracks is Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, which incidentally is one of the main themes for Homeworld, one of the truly fantastic PC games.

holy shit.... if you weren't canadian, i'd say you were just trying to sound cool by using SAT words.... shit man.. WTF did you just say?

Post Number: 3
DeadAnztac Search for posts by this member.
I am almost one of Us.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2001,20:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

isn't it Addagio for strings?
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2001,21:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No idea. That's what it says though :P
 Post Number: 5
PersonGuy Search for posts by this member.
Right-wing pigeon from outer space

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2001,02:21 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by LazyGit:
William Orbit is shit he's a big pile of shit who really annoys me.

True. True. But that doesn't mean he's not a musical GENIOUS! The same goes for Moby... can't stand him, but he can make some kick-ass muzak for time to time!

------------------
"The only thread about ME likened me to poo shaped mummy."
"Have a nice day, because monkeys don't."
-PersonGuy

Post Number: 6
CatKnight Search for posts by this member.
Jedi Republican

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2001,05:06 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ooh sounds nice. i'll get it when i get home. is it one of those free artist band thingies that napster actually supports, and not pirated?
 Post Number: 7
LazyGit Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2001,05:49 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you on eloquent pills or something?

William Orbit is shit he's a big pile of shit who really annoys me. As does Madonna.
cheers

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 8
masher Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2001,09:29 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by DeadAnztac:
isn't it Addagio for strings?

No, just one 'd'. Adagio

------------------
"A woman is always buying something" - Ovid (43? B.C. - 18 A.D.)

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2001,13:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You should really get your Napster on and download it...
 Post Number: 10
Dark Knight Bob Search for posts by this member.
qunt

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2001,18:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

wtf william orbits like been around with that shit for ages the only piece that was good that hes ever done was that barbers adagio for strings mainly because the song itself sold wiothout much need for the trance. William orbit sucks my balls!

disclaimer: william orbit does not or has not ever sucked DKB's ballz

------------------
Homer as Krusty episode:

lil kid: STOP IT STOP IT he's already dead!

9 replies since May 08 2001,16:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply William Orbit
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code