Page 2 of 2<<12

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Meaning of Life< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 11
LiNeY Search for posts by this member.
Lady of DetNet

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2001,08:57  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by KL1NK:

Hey that's what I thought of, too.

However, in case Dysorderia isn't satisfied with that answer (one answer to three questions), I suggest reading Jean-Paul Sartre. He explains it all very nicely and simply:
1. no idea. but as we are here, we can make the best out of it.
2. yeah, making the best out of it.
3. see 2. that means, to "create" yourself and the sense you want to give to your life.
This philosophy is called existentialism. The cool thing is, that it answers all your questions - but you have to find out what the concrete answer for you will be. It is a philosophy of freedom. Have fun finding your answers...

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 12
whiskey@throttle Search for posts by this member.
Kiloposter

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2001,16:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Why are we here?

Ah, the question...

I wish I knew. There seems to be no logical answer. Humans create the concepts of right and wrong as they stand today...which is why I don't necessarily agree with what Liney had to say:

quote:
we can make the best out of it.

Whose concept of "best" is best?

Nowadays, everyone has there own self-serving opinion. As cynical as it sounds, it's true. And if I must quote Geddy Lee, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

If anyone did have the answer, it's become lost in the sea of opinions - seperated either by geographical or cultural boundaries.

Also, too many people die young or in the middle of nowhere, ignorant of even a question such as the one you ask, for me to realize that some universal concept controls us all. I mean, what happens to these people? What could their purpose be if they weren't even conscious of having one?

quote:
Is there any point to life?

Maybe the point to life is that there is no point.

quote:
If so, what is this point?

See above.

Choose hedonism.

This message has been edited by whiskey@throttle on May 12, 2001 at 11:08 AM

Post Number: 13
LiNeY Search for posts by this member.
Lady of DetNet

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2001,05:04 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by whiskey@throttle:
Whose concept of "best" is best?

According to existentialism, everyone must make up their own concept, which he considers best for himself. There is no general rule for everybody... it is a weird philosophy

Post Number: 14
G-PRIME Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2001,06:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The following opinions are just that:

The human being is an animal, a highly evolved perceptive animal.

quote:

Why are we here?
Is there any point to life?
If so, what is this point?

• To procreate, continuing the species. to what end i have no idea... maybe that is the question.
  • No. I have my personal goals, i'm sure we all do, but as a whole the human race seems to be confused, going every direction and getting nowhere.
  • Due to our group mentality we no longer have to try to survive, that time is now spent pondering if there is a point to life...

hey guys i guess this is my first real post so i'd like to say hi to everyone.
13 replies since May 11 2001,01:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 2<<12
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Meaning of Life
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code